Friday, January 1, 2016

Change

                                    Change

What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain.”

 Today, the first day of the new year, is here.  Change is here. Change is inevitable.
            I take down the old calendar, and put up the new one.  Its pages are fresh, clean, but soon to be filled up with appointments, events, the significant occurrences and adventures of the new year.
            A fresh year, a new start, and off we go.  Already, I am deciding what to do, how to interact with the world, how to be a productive and healthy person.
            How do I meet the challenges of the new year?  Old habits, old ways of thinking, or maybe a new approach, a new paradigm for the new year.
            Every day, actually, is like New Year’s Day.  We have that ability to make a fresh start, and embrace new ways of thinking, every day.
            I embrace the old ways, the routines.  They are comforting, predictable, familiar.  Yet, following those old ways, being in my rut, assures me of not growing, and not realizing my potential in this new year, this new day. 
            A new year is a new beginning, if I want it to be truly a fresh start.
            “Be the change you want to see in the world,” Mahatma Gandhi said. 
            I do want the world to change.  But first, I need to change.  It is up to me to begin.
Today.


Neal Lemery 1/1/2016

No comments: